This content is part of a series.
The Empire Strikes Back (6 of 9)
Series: Jude - Keeping Up Your Guard
1. My sermon is not going to be anything like the movie with the same title. It is different in two very distinct ways.
2. I am not going to be talking about Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Yoda, nor r2d2. Rather, I am going to be speaking about a real empire, the kingdom of God, and the real emperor, whose name is Jesus.
3. Furthermore, in the movie “the empire strikes back” the hero, Han Solo, is left carbon-frozen in need of being rescued. But when this empire strikes back, the world will have struck out, and the hero will be in no need of rescue.
4. The next time Jesus comes, which will be the last time he will come, he will not come to a cradle, he will come to a crown. He will not die on a tree, he will sit on a throne. He will not stand before Pilate, Pilate will stand before him. He will not be rejected by the nation of Israel, he will be received by the nation of Israel, and all Israel will be saved.
5. The apostle Jude, quoting an old testament preacher named Enoch, reveals much about the time when “the empire strikes back” and Jesus comes again.
I. The first preacher of the second coming
1. Through the inspiration of the holy spirit, Jude reveals something we would not know about otherwise. He tells us that the first man ever to predict the second coming of Jesus Christ was Enoch. “now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, 'behold, the lord comes.’” (v.14)
2. The bible says very little about Enoch, but when it does speak about Enoch it says a great deal. We only read about Enoch three times in the bible: once in genesis, once in Hebrews, and here in the book of Jude. In genesis we are told that Enoch had a personal walk with God. Genesis 5:22 simply says, “Enoch walked with God.”
3. The book of Hebrews tells us that Enoch had a pleasing worship o ...
There are 18066 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.