This content is part of a series.
The Surety Of Security (1 of 9)
Series : Jude - Keeping Up Your Guard
1. The summer after I graduated from high school, I worked in a carpet factory. I met a very interesting man who, at one time, was a professional boxer. We got to talking about boxing and he said, ''do you know the two biggest mistakes boxers make?''
I said, ''no, what?''
He said, ''number one: telegraphing their punches; and number two: failing to keep their guard up.''
2. The theme of the book of Jude is ''keeping your guard up.'' this is the third smallest book in the New Testament, but it illustrates the truth that ''big things come in small packages.'' it is a small book, but it packs a big wallop. Jude tackles head-on what may be the greatest issue facing the church today - apostasy. Luke wrote the Acts of the Apostles, but Jude has written the acts of the apostates.
3. Now what is an apostate? An apostate is a counterfeit Christian. An apostate is a professor of salvation, but not a possessor of salvation. The word apostasy literally means ''a turning away'' or ''a falling away.'' Paul predicted in I timothy 4:1, ''now the spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons.''
4. The Greek word for depart gives us our word apostasy. The devil has two methods of attacking the church. He does it, first of all, by the persecution of the faithful; and then he does it by the perversion of the faith. History shows that the church is in far more danger from the second problem than it is from the first problem.
5. Recently I came across a clear example of someone who I consider to be an apostate. He is the president of a Baptist university. Recently he wrote a book detailing his understanding of Jesus, the bible, and the truth of Christianity. I found in that book three key marks of every apostate:
A. An apostate pretends to speak for Jesus, but den ...
There are 14568 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.