The Battle to End All Wars (29 of 39) by James Merritt
This content is part of a series.The Battle to End All Wars (29 of 39)
Series: The King Is Coming
Dr. James Merritt
1. We come again to that phrase ‘‘and I looked, and behold’’, (v.14) this reminds us that we are to slow down. John would say today, ‘‘stop, look, and listen,’’ if revelation was a movie, this would be the one part you would not want to miss, this would be the one time you would not want to take the ‘‘popcorn break.’’
2. John was given a sneak preview of the greatest battle to take place in the history of the world, the battle of Armageddon, this battle is going to take place in a gigantic valley in the plain of Esdraelon, called Megiddo. This gigantic plain encompasses 4,500 square miles. It is one of the most majestic sights in all of the land of Israel.
3. This valley of Megiddo was the sight of some of the most important battles in biblical history. It was here that Gideon and his small band of soldiers defeated the Midianites. It was here that king Saul was slain on mount Gilboa, it was here that good king Josiah was killed by the Babylonians.
4. Napoleon once said, ‘‘it is the world’s greatest natural battlefield.’’ It will be here on this natural battlefield that a supernatural battle one day will take place. It will be a battle that will end all wars. This will be a shot heard ‘round the universe. This climatic battle will usher in the one thousand year period of peace known as the millennial reign.
5. Keep the background of this battle in mind. The anti-Christ will be dominating the entire world, he will have taken control of the whole earth. After the beginning of that period known as the tribulation, he will sign a treaty with the nation of Israel. But in the middle of that period of time he will break that treaty. Israel will rebel and resist this evil tyrant.
6. At this time the anti-Christ will amass the greatest army ever assembled of over 200 million soldiers. They will assemble in this great valley preparing for a final assault on the city of Jerusalem, god’s holy city; a final attack on the land of Israel, god’s holy land; a final aggression on the nation of Israel, god’s chosen people.
7. Just as it looks, as if all is lost, just as it appears that the final, fatal and full destruction of the Jew will take place, at that very moment general Jesus is going to return leading the Calvary of heaven. He will destroy this vast army, rescue this tiny nation. All Israel will be saved and Christ will set up his millennial kingdom. So with that background let us sit back, let the cameras roll, and take a sneak preview of the battle of Armageddon.
I. The victor of Armageddon
1. ‘‘and I looked, and behold, a white cloud, and on the cloud sat one like the son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.’’ (v.14) now I like what john does. Before he describes the war, he describes the winner, before he describes the contest, he describes the conqueror. He does not ...
There are 17648 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!