This content is part of a series.
The King Is Coming (15 of 39)
Series: Behold the Lamb
1. Though you may not be aware of it, the Bible, when originally written, did not have chapter divisions, these were added later on for our convenience in studying the biblical texts. Actually there should not be a division between chapters 4 and 5. For chapter 5 is simply a continuation of the worship scene in heaven that is given in chapter 4.
2. But chapter 5 constitutes what may be the most important chapter in the entire book of revelation. If you have ever buttoned a sweater and put the wrong button in the wrong hole, you know that you are either going to have one too many holes, or one too many buttons. It is important to get it right from the beginning. The same thing is true as we interpret this chapter, for this chapter contains the key to properly understanding the rest of the book. If we misunderstand what is taking place in this chapter we will misunderstand the rest of the book of the revelation.
3. In v.1 we are told about a scroll. Now this scroll happens to be the most important document in all of history. The constitution of the United States and the declaration of independence, as important as they are, pale in significance to the contents of this scroll. So I begin by saying at the outset, that this scroll represents the title deed to all of the earth.
4. We are given an example of what this scroll refers to in Jeremiah 32:6-15. God had revealed to Jeremiah that Jerusalem was going to be overthrown by the king of Babylon. Jeremiah had a cousin named Hanameel who owned a piece of property. God told Jeremiah to buy this property from his cousin as a sign that one day God's people would be returned to their land. When Jeremiah bought the property the title deed was given over to him and it was sealed up in a scroll. This scroll was to be a future title deed to this piece of property.
5. The scroll that John sees in this chapter is ...
There are 23226 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.