This content is part of a series.
"Things Worth Repeating"
1. We are continuing our series of messages in Philippians entitled "The Joy of Jesus." Paul begins this chapter in verse 1 by exhorting us, "to rejoice in the Lord." Now I remind you that the words joy or rejoice are used 19 times in this little book. It is a book about joy. But, the name Jesus is used 20 times. So it is a book about Jesus. And when you put those two things together, the book is about the "joy of Jesus". Now it is no accident that joy and Jesus are so closely connected it is not coincidental or incidental. Rather, it is fundamental. For Jesus is the source of true joy. He is the force of real joy and he sets the course for all joy.
2. Paul is repeating some things that he has already told these Philippians. There are certain things that we hear that are certainly worth hearing more than once heard about a woman talking to her husband and she burst into tears and said, "I cannot remember the last time you told me you loved me." He said, "I told you 47 years ago when we got married that I loved you and if I ever change my mind I’ll let you know." Well that wasn't good enough for those words certainly bear repeating.
3. Paul knew something that educators learned long ago, and that is one of the greatest tools of teaching and learning is the tool of repetition. Someone asked a black preacher one time about his preaching. The black preacher said, "I preach very simply. First I tell them what I am going to tell them. Then I tell them, .then I tell them what I just told them.
4. Now there are 3 truths that Paul had repeated to these Philippians that we need to have repeated to us and to remember and never forget.
I. The Danger of Superficial Religion--Verses 1-3
1. There are many people today who think that America needs religion, friend, I am convinced that America doesn't need religion it needs Jesus. As a matter of fact if anybody has ever proved that religion is not the answer to life's problems America has.
2. America is the most religious people on earth, 96% of Americans believe in God, 36% or over 70 million people in America attend church. More people attend church today in America than ever before in our history,
3. But consider these statistics. Since 1960 in America there have been 47 million divorces, 550 thousand deaths from drunk driving, 23 million deaths from illegal drugs, at million babies killed by abortion and 366 thousand murders. Herpes and aids, two venereal diseases unheard of 15 years ago, now afflict 20.5 million Americans.
4. Religion and religious people were a major problem at Philippi. Paul was having to deal with the problem of legalism. There were some Judaizers in the church who were trying to preach a gospel of salvation by works. They were teaching that in addition to faith in Jesus you had to be circumcised and keep the law in order to be saved. They were creating all kinds of trouble in the ...
There are 17079 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
Price:$4.99 or 1 credit
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.