A Look at Love
1 John 4:7-21
1. Love-just think about that word. That one word can make a heart flutter uncontrollably. It can make the toughest man blush. It can make a grown man cry and women jump for joy.
2. The world is almost obsessed with this thing called love. The world sings about it, ''What the world needs now is love sweet love.'' Or, ''You're nobody till somebody love you.'' ''It's love that makes the world go around.''
3. We have an insatiable desire to write about it. Almost without exception, you can walk into any store and just see shelf after shelf lined with romantic novels. Love has taken over the airways. Millions of people await breathlessly from Friday till Monday to find out, ''Will John get Mary, or will Mary forsake John for Luke. Or, will Luke go after Sally before Mary can forsake John for Luke.''
4. Psychiatrists say that three of the greatest needs of a human being are: The need to be wanted, the need to be needed, and the need to be loved. We talk so much about love and yet we know so little about it. About two hundred years ago one of our well known encyclopedias discussed the word ''Adam'' with the use of only five lines. But five pages were devoted to a discussion of ''love.'' In a recent edition of the same encyclopedia, five pages were given to the word ''Adam'' but the word ''love'' was omitted.
5. The Bible is God's love letter to man. The Apostle John is the expert on love in the Bible. Paul was the apostle of faith. James was the apostle of works. Peter was the apostle of judgment. But John is the apostle of love. No one in the Bible speaks of love with more depth and detail than does the Apostle John. So in this message we are going to take a look at love through the eyes of this sainted apostle.
I. Love's Sure Evidence (vv. 7-8)
1. Love is the thermometer that can take your spiritual temperature. If you were put on trial for being a Christian, love is the one incontrov ...
There are 16814 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.