A Marriage Made in Heaven
1. You don't go two chapters into the first book of the Bible until you come to the first marriage in history. There never has been and there never will be another marriage quite like it.
2. First of all, there were no in-laws to put up with. Eve could never run home to Mama if things got bad around the house. Adam never had to listen to Eve say, ''You're not the only man I could have married.'' On the other hand, Eve never had to listen to Adam say, ''Why can't you cook like my Mama used to?''
3. I heard about one husband who was complaining to his wife, and he said, ''Why can't you cook biscuits like my Mama used to?'' She said, ''Why don't you bring home the dough like my Daddy used to?''
4. From the very beginning theirs was a marriage literally made in heaven. It is not coincidental that the institution of marriage and the first home are portrayed at the very beginning of the Bible. One woman was speaking about her husband and someone said, ''Where did you meet him?'' She said, ''I met him at a travel agency. He was 'the last resort.''' Well marriage is not God's last resort. To the contrary, it was God's first institution.
5. In 1888 the United States Supreme Court rendered this opinion about marriage: ''It is an institution, the maintenance of which in its purity the public is deeply interested, for it is the foundation of the family and of society, without which there would be neither civilization nor progress.1
6. The Supreme Court was exactly right. God intended for the home, not the state, not the school, not even the church, to be the foundation of civilization. It is the foundation upon which society is to be founded, and it is the fabric out of which harmony is to be produced.
7. This first marriage is a picture of and a prescription for a marriage made in heaven. Someone has wisely observed that there are only two causes of unhappy marriages - men and w ...
There are 20174 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.