Stress for Success
1. Have you ever gotten up in the morning and just had a strange premonition that it was going to be a bad day? Someone once described a few of those circumstances that let us know, "It's going to be a bad day when..."
1. You wake up face down on the pavement
2. You call Suicide Prevention and they put you on hold
3. You see a "Sixty Minutes News Team" waiting in your office
4. Your birthday cake collapses from the weight of the candles
5. You turn on the news and they are just playing emergency routes out of your city
6. Your twin sister forgets your birthday
7. You are following a group of hell's angels down the freeway when suddenly your horn goes off and remains stuck
8. You wake up to discover that your waterbed has broken - then you realize you don't have a waterbed
2. Now it is days like that that prompt sermons like this. Days like that create tension, anxiety, nervousness. But the modern day term is stress.
3. Stress in one sense has become the "In Disease" in America. One of the most popular phrases today to use to describe yourself is to be "all stressed out." I know many people who are stressed up and have no place to go.
4. Stress has become a big ticket item in our society. Here in Atlanta alone, there are seven treatment centers devoted to the care and management of stress. Some of the best selling books on the market today have these titles: "Less Stress in Thirty Days"; "Stress Passages"; "Stress Management"; "Managing Stress: Practical Guide to Using Stress
Positively"; there are video tapes with titles such as "Coping With Stress"; relaxation tapes with titles such as "Letting Go of Stress."
5. The nutrition society of America even recommends vitamins such as B-complex and Calcium-magnesium to reduce stress. There is even a national clearing house for information on stress-related illnesses, controlled techniques, therapies, and di ...
There are 21871 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.