This content is part of a series.
Jonah on the Run (2 of 6)\
Series: A Character Study on Discouragement
January 8, 2003
1. Doesn't this verse sound a little bit like our study last week? You will remember Elijah was on the run from Jezebel. In 1 Kings 19:4, we read, "But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers."
2. Keep in mind; these are not your average run of the mill people. Elijah was a prophet of God, as was Jonah.
a. We see Elijah typified in John the Baptist, the forerunner of Christ. He appears with Moses on the Mt. of Transfiguration, and is probably one of the two witnesses in Rev. 11.
b. Jonah was also a prophet. In fact, he was a type of Christ - in the sense of being sent to preach repentance to wicked unbelievers.
1) Additionally, he typifies Christ in the resurrection. Jesus said in Luke 11:30, "For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.. Then again, in Matthew 12:40, "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."
3. The question is: "How do such great men get into such great trouble? How did these two men get so discouraged that they wanted to just sit down and die?
a. It certainly proves one thing; no matter who we think we are, and no matter how spiritual we may think we are, if we are not careful, we can find ourselves sitting where Elijah and Jonah sat. 4. Let's take a look at the story of Jonah, and see what caused him to be so discouraged.
I. JONAH'S DISOBEDIENCE (1:1, 2, 3a)
1. There is nothing vague about what took place here. God told Jonah to do something, and Jonah simply refused. Instead of going to Nineveh, Jonah headed in the opposite direction ...
There are 11370 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.