Hell Is Still There
Isaiah 28:15, 18
1. Isaiah 14:9, ''Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.''
NEWS ARTICLE: One of our members shared this article with me a couple of days ago. It appeared in the Sacramento Bee, but was written by the Los Angels Times. I want to share parts of the article with you this morning...
2. The title of the article? ''What the heck happened to hell? My answer? ''Hell is still there.''
3. In outlining my message this morning, I want to discuss the opinions of three groups of people-three different voices on the subject of hell. What do they have to say?
I. LET'S ASK A LIBERAL WHAT HE THINKS OF HELL
1. Here we are not talking about politicians; we are talking about liberal theologians and those with a liberal or modernist bent to their observations concerning Scripture.
A. THE CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS AND RESEARCH MINISTRY defines liberalism as, ''the movement away from traditional orthodoxy, often in an attempt to harmonize biblical teachings with science, humanism, or other secular fields. The result is often a denial of essential biblical doctrines such as the Trinity, the deity of Christ, His virgin birth, His resurrection, and salvation by grace.''
2. A couple of things:
A. First, liberals have always denied the existence of hell:
1. Solomon said, ''There is nothing new under the sun.'' It is certainly nothing new for the modernist and the liberal to deny the cardinal truths of the Bible.
a. By the way, most of the schools quoted in our opening article are nothing more than ''seedbeds'' of liberalism.
1) Many schools of theology that once heralded the truth of God's Word, and unashamedly proclaimed the gospel, are no longer seminaries, they are cemeteries.
QUOTE: Listen to this following quote: ''There is nothing I can ...
There are 11268 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.