Faithful Mother of Moses - Jochabed
Introduction: Ten great truths about life that little children have learned:
1. No matter how hard you try, you can’t baptize cats.
2. When your mom is mad at your dad, don’t let her brush your hair.
3. If your sister hits you, don’t hit her back. They always catch the second person.
4. Never ask your 3 year old brother to hold a tomato.
5. You can’t trust dogs to watch your food.
6. Puppies still have bad breath even after eating a tic tac.
7. School lunches stick to the wall.
8. You can’t hide a piece of broccoli in a glass of milk.
9. Don’t wear polka-dot underwear under white shorts.
10. The best place to be when you are sad is on your mother’s lap.
Many of the great truths of life are learned in childhood. A large percentage of those are taught to us by our mothers. Likewise, Moses was a man of God who knew the great truths of life. When reading the account of his birth and youth it is easy to discern the godly influence that Moses’ mother wielded upon him. Jochabed’s name is not as well known as is that of her famous son, but her example is just as worthy of note. Today we will observe 3 qualities of a faithful mother in the life of Jochabed.
I. JOCHABED ENVISIONED MOSES’ POTENTIAL VS.1-2a
Jochabed saw that Moses was a 'fine child.' There must have been something genuinely special about the infant boy. Of course, we know that all parents dote over their newborn babies. When our son was born I took a kind of perverse macho pride in his size - he weighed over nine pounds. However, after nearly two days of labor my wife did not share my enthusiasm for that particular characteristic! But the Bible notes Moses’ uniqueness in infancy in three different places. Here in our text, and also in:
a. Acts 7:20 'Moses was born and he was no ORDINARY child.'
b. Hebrews 11:23 'Moses parents saw he was no ORDINARY child'
Like Mary, the mother of Jesus, Jochabed sensed t ...
There are 19172 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.