The Beauty of Baptism
May 25, 1997
A. EACH SUNDAY WE BAPTIZE. WHY? WHAT IS THE REASON BEHIND IT?
1. Is it something that just Baptists do?
2. Or, is it rooted in scripture?
3. As you to be open minded this morning.
4. I’m not talking to you today as a Baptist.
B. THE GREATEST BAPTISM EVER TO TAKE PLACE WAS THE BAPTISM OF JESUS. MARK 1.
C. THERE ARE CERTAIN PRINCIPLES PEOPLE SEE SIMPLY AS BAPTIST DOCTRINE.
1. Salvation: Born again.
D. BAPTISM IS AN IMPORTANT TRUTH.
ill. New preacher in a particular church preached four weeks on subject of baptism. People thought enough is enough.: Asked to pick out passage for him for next Sunday. Chose Matt. 3:`10 “The axe is laid at the root of the tree...” Surely, he can’t get baptism out of that. Stood to preach, asked if people understood why axe was laid? To clear a path to the swimming hole where people could be baptized.
E. TWO EXTREMES.
1. Must be baptized to be saved.
ill. Thief on the Cross: No time to be baptized, to church, or read Bible, but Jesus welcomed him into his kingdom.
ill. Only liquid take you to heaven: blood.
2. That baptism is not important and unnecessary. There is a responsibility to obedience after one is saved.
F. What does the Bible say?
II. THE METHOD OF BAPTISM
(There are those who feel it does not matter how one is baptized. Is that correct? What does the Bible say? The Bible teaches baptism by immersion is the correct method.)
A. THE SCRIPTURE
1. Mark 1:8 - Takes water.
2. John 3:23 - Takes much water.
3. Acts 8:38 - Down into the water.
4. Rom. 6:4 - Looks like a burial.
5. Matt. 3:16 - Comes up out of the water.
B. THE STUDY OF THE WORD.
1. Baptize: Baptizo - To put under or immerse.
2. Not sprinkle: Rontizo.
C. SECULAR SOURCES.
1. Greek Culture: Baptize dishes - Under.
2. Josephus: Man murdered by baptism.
3. Luke 1137, 38: Jesus invited to lunch wash: G ...
There are 4516 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.