This content is part of a series.
THE SANCTITY OF LIFE (6 of 10)
SERIES: THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
JULY 16, 1995
A. THE SIXTH COMMANDMENT HOLDS SEVERAL DISTINCTIONS:
1. It is one of the shortest.
2. It is one of the strongest.
3. It is one of the most controversial.
What does it mean when the Scripture says, "You
shall not kill? Is all killing implied, or is
murder the focus of this verse?
If it is murder what is implied? Just violent
murder, or is there more to it than that?
B. TODAY WE WILL LOOK AT:
1. THE IMPORTANT MESSAGE OF THIS COMMANDMENT.
2. THE INCORRECT MESSAGE OF THIS COMMANDMENT.
3. THE INTENDED MESSAGE OF THIS COMMANDMENT.
I. THE IMPORTANT MESSAGE OF THIS VERSE.
A. AMERICA HAS BECOME A NATION OF VIOLENCE.
1. One Sociologist in a recent Newsweek
article quotes a man who committed
a murder as saying, "I was just having
a bad day." (Newsweek, 11/29/93)
2. Time Magazine tells about Doug (not his
real name), 15 year old sophomore who
recently purchased his first gun. The
gun, a used Remington semi-automatic 12
guage shotgun, purchased with $25 saved
up from mowing lawns. Doug has
participated in nine drive by
shootings. This, not in East Los
Angeles, but Omaha, Nebraska. (Time
3. The statistics are alarming:
a. One in four teen deaths is now
caused by gunshots.
b. In 1990 nearly 4200 teens lost
their lives to guns. This is up
from 2500 just five years earlier.
c. The National Education Associaton
estimates that 100,000 students
There are 8824 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.