Honoring Father And Mother (5 Of 10) by Larry Wynn
This content is part of a series.Honor Father And Mother
Series: The Ten Commandments
A. THE FIRST FOUR COMMANDMENTS DEAL WITH OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.
B. THE FIFTH COMMANDMENT BEGINS A SEGMENT DEALING WITH OUR RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHERS.
1. This commandment begins at the most logical and important point. Our relationship at home.
2. There has always been an all-out assault on the home.
3. The strength of the home determines the strength of society itself.
4. The nuclear home is slowly disintegrating.
C. THE 5TH COMMANDMENT DEALS WITH RESPECT OF PARENTS.
1. It is given before commandments not to murder, commit adultery, or covet.
2. Our parents are the first people we meet and know. If we cannot learn to respect and love and obey our parents how do we expect to get along in society?
D. The Bible says we are to "Honor Father and Mother." What does it mean to honor?
1. The word honor literally means to attach weight to something. It means to attach great significance to something.
2. In other words we are to take very seriously our relationship with our parents.
E. THE BIBLE SAYS WE ARE TO HONOR OUR PARENTS AT ALL TIMES NOT JUST WHEN THEY DESERVE HONOR.
HOW DO WE SHOW HONOR?
A. EPESIANS 6:1 SAYS IT VERY CLEARLY: "CHILDREN OBEY YOUR PARENTS IN THE LORD, FOR THIS IS RIGHT."
B. YOU OBEY YOUR PARENTS BY:
1. Listening to their instruction.
Proverbs 4:1 "Listen, my sons, to a father's instructions; pay attention and gain understanding."
ill. Modern television wants to paint a picture of parents portraying them as knowing nothing. As being kind of dumb and stupid.
ill. Proverbs 1:8,9 "My son, hear the instruction of thy father and forsake not the law of thy mother. They shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head and chains about thy neck."
2.Submitting to their authority.
ill. The Continental D ...
There are 5613 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!