Palm Branches to Olive Branches (1 of 5) by Larry Wynn
This content is part of a series.Palm Branches to Olive Branches (1 of 5)
Series: Death and Resurrection of Christ
Mark 11: 8-10; 14:36
A. ILLUSTRATION OF TREES IN MY LIFE.
1. Forts my friend and I would build. We would fight off the enemy. The enemy was his older brother and his friend.
2. Trees where I would carve my girl- friend's initials.
3. The tree in my grandfather's yard where I would play while my parents and other family members sat on the porch and discussed life's issues. (The place where I would terrorize the frog who lived in the root system.)
4. Later in life as teen I would lie under the trees and dream of my future.
B. TREES PLAY A MAJOR ROLE IN THE SCRIPTURE. MANY SIGNIFICANT EVENTS TOOK PLACE UNDER TREES.
1. Gen. 18. God told Abraham he would be given a son.
2. I Kings 19. Elijah ran there when he was emotionally drained to the point of experiencing depression.
3. Isaiah 55. ''All the trees of the field will clap their hands.'' Speaks of a time when the Lord will reign on the earth.
C. IN THE LIFE OF JESUS THERE ARE TWO SIGNIFICANT EVENTS THE LAST WEEK BEFORE THE CRUCIFIXION THAT INVOLVED TREES.
1. The first is Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem.
2. The second is the agony of the Garden the night before the crucifixion.
III. One involves celebration and the other crisis. Illustrates two very real aspects of our lives.
I. THE CELEBRATION. MARK 11:1-10.
A. THE MIRACLE. VS. 1-3.
1. The Lord sent the disciples to the city for a colt. The other Gospels include a colt and its mother.
2. If asked who needed it He was to respond ''The Lord''.
a. The word Lord in the NT is the equivalent to Jehovah in the Old Testament.
b. The meaning is powerful: The Sovereign Lord.
c. Probably the owner was a disciple already.
III. The King has the right to the property of one who owns it.
Can you truly say that about property you own?
2. The disciples went into the village and it was just as He sa ...
There are 7376 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!