This content is part of a series.
Love for a Lifetime (1 of 2)
SERIES: 1994 MARRIAGE AND FAMILY SERIES
I Corinthians 13
May 8, 1994
A. ILL. A recent poll by the "Los Angeles Times" reports that an overwhelming number of persons, when asked what their main goal in life was, responded, "to be happily married."
1. Question: Why do 1/2 of the marriages begun in America end in divorce? Why do many of those that survive have no life or health?
2. Two major reasons surface.
a. We do not understand and put into practice God's principles.
b. We fail to understand one another.
ill. Cecil Osborne said years ago that the difficulty of achieving a happy marriage is compounded by the fact that men and women are basically incompatible, in that they have goals, needs, emotions, and drives which are incompatible with those of the opposite sex.
ill. Dr. Willard Harley, "His Needs, Her Needs" points out five basic needs of men and five basic needs of women.
a. Affection b. Conversation
c. Honesty and openness
d. Financial support e. Family Commitment.
a. Sexual fulfillment.
b. Recreational companionship.
c. Attractive spouse.
d. Domestic support.
B. People have a magical view of marriage.
1. People harbor the idea that one day they will be zapped into the presence of someone of the opposite sex who is so "right" they will know without a doubt this is the one they are to marry.
2. To many have the idea that lasting love is based on emotion and feeling period!
3. The Bible give us the correct view of marriage and the family.
a. Ours is often o ...
There are 6874 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.