This content is part of a series.
The Biography of a Backslider! (2 of 2)
2 Timothy 4:10
Pastor Steve N. Wagers
1. Kurt Cobain, the founder and leader of the grunge band Nirvana, was the most acclaimed and creative singer of his generation. His parents divorced when he was eight and two of his father's uncles committed suicide. Marriage and the birth of a daughter were supposed to bring calm, stability, and perspective to his life, but three years after the band's fame and at the height of his popularity, Cobain put a shotgun to his own head at the young age of twenty-seven in 1994.
2. In a note left behind for his family and fans at the time of his death, Cobain revealed:
"I haven't felt the excitement for so many years. I feel guilty beyond words about these things... When we are backstage and the lights go out and the manic roar of the crowd begins, it doesn't affect me...The fact is I can't fool you, any of you. It simply isn't fair to you or to me... The worst crime I can think of would be to (trick) people by faking it and pretending as if I were having 100% fun. I don't have the passion anymore. so remember: It's better to burn out than to fade away.
3. I have found no indication that Kurt Cobain was a saved man; yet, he perfectly represents the tragedy of many who are saved. They once had a purpose, priority, and passion for God; yet, now they have grown cold and indifferent toward God. These are they, like Kurt Cobain, who "don't feel the passion anymore."
4. Over the years we have coined phrase, and words to refer to these types of Christians such as, 'deserters, traitors or backsliders.' However, I believe Andrew Murray said it best:
"There are two types of Christians: those who burn for God, and those who go back on God!"
5. I think of the story of a man who was once faithful to the cause of Christ. He was truly on fire for God. He was involved in many ministries in the church, and was practically there every time the doors were open. However, he e ...
There are 21496 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.