Because He Lives!
Pastor Steve N. Wagers
Easter Sunday 2003
1. Little Philip, born with Down's syndrome, attended a third-grade Sunday School class with several eight-year-old boys and girls. Typical of that age, the children did not readily accept Philip with his differences, but because of a creative teacher, they began to care about Philip and accept him as part of the group, though not fully.
2. The Sunday after Easter the teacher brought Leggs pantyhose containers, the kind that look like large eggs. Each receiving one, the children were told to go outside on that lovely spring day, find some symbol for new life, and put it in the egg-like container. Back in the classroom, they would share their new-life symbols, opening the containers one by one in surprise fashion. After running about the church property in wild confusion, the students returned to the classroom and placed the containers on the table.
3. Surrounded by the children, the teacher began to open them one by one. After each one, whether a flower, butterfly, or leaf, the class would ooh and ahh. Then one was opened, revealing nothing inside. The children exclaimed, That's stupid. That's not fair. Somebody didn't do their assignment." Philip spoke up, "That's mine." "Philip, you don't ever do things right!" the student retorted. "There's nothing there!" "I did it right," Philip insisted. "I did it right. It's empty. The tomb was empty!"
4. The Buddha who is the founder of the Buddhist religion is called Buddha Shakyamuni. "Shakya" is the name of the royal family into which he was born, and "Muni" means "Able One." Buddha Skakyamuni was born as a royal prince in 624 BC in a place called Lumbini, which was originally in northern India but is now part of Nepal. However, eighty-years later, in 544 B. C., Buddha Shakyamuni was laid to rest, and his remains were cremated, never to live again.
5. Confucious was born in the small state of Lu that rose out of the remains of ...
There are 26118 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.