This content is part of a series.
Don't Throw In The Towel Just Yet! (4 of 9)
The Sweet Taste of Spirit Fruit!
Pastor Steve N. Wagers
Galatians 5:22, James 5:7-11
1. Someone has said,
"You can do anything if you have patience. You can carry water in a sieve, if you wait until it freezes!"
2. Henry Ford said,
"Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears!" (1)
3. The famous preacher from New England, Phillips Brooks, was known for his calmness and poise. His close friends, however, knew that he also suffered moments of frustration and irritability. One day a friend saw him pacing the floor like a caged lion. The friend asked, "Dr. Brooks, what is the trouble?" Phillips Brooks replied, "The trouble is that I'm in a hurry, and God isn't!" (2)
4. Have you ever noticed how long we wait when we go out to eat? We wait to be seated. We wait for the menu. We wait to place our order. We wait for our food. We wait for the check. And, finally we wait for the opportunity to pay the check. And, the restaurant has the audacity to refer to the one who oversees all of this activity as the "Waiter!" Yet, I know from personal experience, that we are the ones that wait. And, I don't know about you, but I hate to wait.
5. We all need to be more like the little boy in a department store. He was at the end of an escalator, watching the railing as it went around. Finally, a salesman came by and asked him, "Son, are you lost?" The little boy replied, "No sir. I'm just waiting for my gum to come back!" We need that kind of patience.
6. One of the most blessed fruit of the Spirit is patience. The word Paul uses to describe this type of God-given virtue is "longsuffering."
7. The word 'longsuffering' is derived from two Greek words: 'makro,' which means "long." And, "thymia," which means "anger." Thus, the word 'longsuffering' literally means "to be long-tempered." It is the ability to be slow to anger. That is the result o ...
There are 16860 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.