The Perfect Church!
Steve N. Wagers
Hebrews 13:17, Acts 6:1-7, Ephesians 4:11-12
1. One of the oldest churches that still remains today is a church in Swan Quarter, North Carolina. The original church was built in October 1874. Needless to say, it is a church with a wonderful, and yet, unique history. Before it was built, in 1874, the congregation had its eye on a plot of land that they desired to build their sanctuary. However, the landowner refused to sell the land, particularly because he wanted nothing to do with a church. Thus, the church settled to build on a piece of land that was its second choice.
2. Two years later, after the church was built, a violent storm hit the community. The storm was so destructive that homes were destroyed, trees were uprooted, and massive damage was caused. Even that church building was lifted off of its foundation and carried 300 feet. When the storm was over, and the smoke settled, they found something very interesting; the church had landed upon the exact plot of ground that it wanted so much to build on in the first place. The congregation thought it no accident; and, thus, the name of the church was changed to, 'The House of God Moved by the Hand of God!"
3. I submit unto you that of all of the other organizations and institutions that have been built there is none greater than the church of the living God. It has been, and will continue to be, like this ancient church, the church of God that has been sovereignly moved by the hand of God.
4. John Calvin was right when he said, "The noblest triumph which God ever gained was when Christ, after subduing sin, conquering death, and putting Satan to flight, rose majestically to Heaven; that He might exercise His glorious reign over the Church!"
5. Jesus spoke of in Matthew 16: 18, and declared, "upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
6. However, as I said a couple of weeks ago, the church has ...
There are 20379 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.