The Lovely Name That Gives Us Care! (3 of 4) by Steve Wagers
This content is part of a series.The Lovely Name that Gives Us Care! (3 of 4)
Steve N. Wagers
Isaiah 9:6, Hebrews 6:13-19
1. Some of my fondest memories are of my father. Often times I will find myself pressing the rewind button in my mind and going back to my young teenage years and remembering the priceless, and precious times that we shared. Whether it was seeing him run the bleachers at one of my basketball games or watching me shoot hoops from the kitchen window, nothing can replace those pictures from my mind. To me he was Superman and Batman all in one. He was, and will always be my "Dad!"
2. I think of how William Franklin spoke of the subject,
"If he's wealthy and prominent, and you stand in awe of him, call him 'Father.' If he sits in short sleeves and suspenders at a ballgame and picnic, call him 'Pop.' If he wheels the baby carriage and carries bundles meekly, call him 'Papa.' If, however, he makes a pal of you when you're good, and is too wise to let you pull the wool over his loving eyes even when you're not; and, if you're quite sure no other fellow you know has quite so fine a father, you may call him 'DAD!'" (1)
3. Sad to say, we live in a day of 'Deadbeat Dads' and 'Failing Fathers.' Whether they are working to be busy, or too busy working, the presence of a father figure is one that is lacking from the scene of home.
4. I think of a recent survey that revealed, in our country, last year alone, 1 out of every 5 homes was maintained by a woman with no father figure present.
5. A recent study from Harvard University interviewed 375 men who graduated from the University. These men were the "successes" of our society. Armed with degrees from Harvard, they went out into their respective vocations and succeeded. Yet, many of them were scarred and wounded by fathers who were not there for them emotionally for them as they were growing up. Samuel Osherhon concluded his research by saying,"These findings convince me that the psychological or physical a ...
There are 18174 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!