Living by Faith
Hebrews 11: 8-19
One of the greatest testimonies of a life of faith, was that of a man by the name of J.L. Heath. Mr. Heath was a hard-working father of seven children, who worked in a steel mill in Gary, Indiana. He received a meager salary, and being the sole provider in his home, he knew from first-hand experience what it meant to live by faith. He told that there were many times he was unable to buy school clothes and shoes for his children. Many times it was even difficult to have enough money to pay the bills, and put food on the table. Yet, through it all, he trusted God, he believed God, and one day he put the feelings of his soul on paper, as he penned the blessed old hymn: LIVING BY FAITH!
In Hebrews 11, we see the greatest testimony of the Bible of faith, in the life of Abraham. We see that Abraham knew what it meant to live a life directed by faith, and what it means to be LIVING BY FAITH! And we see that throughout these 3 stages of his life, HE BELIEVED GOD:
I. WHEN HE DIDN'T KNOW: WHERE (V. 8-9)
We now see Abraham as he obeys God's call and command to leave his own country(comforts, family, friends). Notice, he is forced to trust God though he was:
A. WALKING A PATH THAT WAS UNCERTAIN (v. 8c)
1. We see Abraham's faith as he leaves everything he has ever known.
2. We see Abraham's faith as he leaves everyone he has ever known.
3. He is walking an uncertain path, with many, many questions, and many, many doubts.
IS IT ANY DIFFERENT IN THE LIFE OF A CHRISTIAN?
c.f. II Corinthians 5:7
4. Yet, Abraham put himself into the hands of God to go wherever he said go.
5. He "SUBSCRIBED TO GOD'S WISDOM, AND SUBMITTED TO GOD'S WILL!!
6. Though, there were uncertainties, doubts, questions--HE WENT!
B. SEEING A PLACE THAT WAS UNFAMILIAR (v. 9a)
SOUJOURNED(lit.): "to migrate"
IDEA: of an immigrant who leaves his country and migrates to another
1. We see Abraham as he comes ...
There are 6644 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.