Getting a Second Chance
Bramlow North was to preach in one of the largest churches in the city of London, one Sunday morning. As he came into the church, someone handed him a note, and walked on. As he preceded onto the platform, he pulled out the note, and read it. In this note, this person had listed dates, places, things, and sins that he had committed in his past life. As he got up to preach, he read the note to the congregation. After reading it, he said, "I must confess that everything in this note is true. I also, must further confess, that there are things that I've done that aren't in this note. But, there is one thing that my friend has overlooked, the blood of Jesus Christ, God's Son, has cleansed me of all my sin. I've been given a SECOND CHANCE!!
In much the same way, we look again at Jonah's life. We see that although he disobeyed God in chp. 1, he now is the recipient of another opportunity, and we see him GETTING A SECOND CHANCE!
I. GOD'S: RENEWED COMMISSION (v.1-2)
We look at the renewed commission from God, and we see that it is a:
A. PATIENT COMMISSION "..the second time. . ."
1. We now see the patient and long-suffering hand of God.
2. Jonah, as you know, had tuned a deaf ear to God's first commission.
3. But, God doesn't display anger, resentment, or hold a grudge.
4. He displays great patience with Jonah.
5. By rights, by justice, God should've and could've given up on Jonah.
6. However, despite his previous unfaithfulness, Jonah gets a second chance to carry out God's work.
7. It now appears that God has forgiven him, and re-enlisted, and re-employed him for his service--SHOWING CONFIDENCE!!
8. He, in his grace and mercy, speaks to him a second time.
B. PARALLEL COMMISSION (v. 2)
commission in 1:2 and 3:2------THE SAME COMMISSION/COMMAND
1. Thus, showing us that God's word never changes.
2. Though some time has passed, God doesn't alter his word to gra ...
There are 7013 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.