It's Friday, But Sunday's Coming
I. The Ones Grieved By His Death!
II. The Ones Glad For His Death!
III. The One Gloating Over His Death!
1. A man was walking down a street when he noticed in a store window a beautiful painting of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. He stood there gazing at the picture for the longest than realized that a little boy was standing beside him. He patted the little boy on the head and said, "Son, what does that mean?" The little boy said, "Doncha know? That there man is Jesus, an' the woman that's crying is His mother, an' them others is Roman soldiers. They killed Him." The man smiled and then started walking away. In a few moments he heard someone running, turned and saw that it was the little boy. He came running up to the man, out of breath, and said, "Mister, mister, I forgot to tell you that he didn't stay dead."
2. Today we celebrate the wonderful truth that Jesus Christ rose from the dead. Easter Sunday serves as a yearly reminder that Jesus died for our sins on Calvary's cross, was buried, but on the morning of the third day rose from the dead. Paul writing to Timothy says in 2 Timothy 2:8, "Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel." The truth of the resurrection of Jesus Christ touches our lives everyday, but on this day we dedicate our thoughts to His resurrection.
3. I read about a group of four year olds that were asked by their Sunday school teacher: "Does anyone know what today is?" One little girl raised her hand and said, "Yes, today is Palm Sunday." "That's great," said the teacher. "Now, can anyone tell me what next Sunday is?" The same little girl raised her hand and said, "Yes, next Sunday is Easter Sunday." "That's great," said the teacher, "Now, can anyone tell me what makes next Sunday Easter?" The same little girl raised her hand again and said, "Yes, next Sunday is Easter because Jesus rose from the grave," and before the teacher could congratulate her, she continued, "but if he sees His shadow, he has to go back in for seven weeks."
4. Let me go on record and say that Jesus got up from the grave and he will never be placed in a tomb again. He rose again and is seated at the right hand of the father as King of kings and Lord of lords. Today, we do not worship one whose body is contained within a tomb or shrine. We worship "One" that rose again. Today we celebrate a living Saviour.
5. If you were to visit Jerusalem, about a block from the Old City wall you would find The Garden Tomb, where it is believed Jesus was laid after His death. Normally, more than 250,000 visitors a year visit the site. However, visitors don't visit the tomb to pay their respects to the one that is dead. They go there because the tomb is empty. People don't go to the tomb to mourn. They go there by the thousands to rejoice. They don't go there to weep, but to worship.
6. Through the years I have had a fe ...
There are 16682 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.