This content is part of a series.
Improving Commitment In A Marriage (3 of 3)
Series: Home Improvement
Genesis 2:24, Ephesians 5:31
1. On one occasion, Winston Churchill was asked the question, "If you could be someone else, who would you want to be?" He answered, "I would want to be Lady Churchill's second husband."
2. I love his answer, for it was a most unique way of saying how much he loved his wife. His answer said that that which brought him the greatest joy and happiness was not being the Prime Minister of England, but his marriage.
3. Someone has said that marriage is like a cage; one sees the birds outside desperate to get in, and those on the outside equally desperate to get out."1
4. Over the past few weeks we have tried to see that marriage was intended by God to be one of the most gratifying, satisfying, and edifying relationships known to man. It is not to be an experience so disappointing, disgusting, and dissatisfying that a person would want out.
5. I read about a woman who woke her husband in the middle of the night, and said, "Henry, wake up. I just had this terrible nightmare. I dreamed I was at an auction for husbands. One husband brought $10,000 and others sold for sums in the millions." The husband raised up in bed and asked, "Well, Honey, what were husbands like me bringing?" She said, "That's what was so disgusting. They were taking ones like you, tying them in a bundle, and selling them for a dollar a bunch."
6. Again, marriage should not be a disgusting experience but a wonderful experience. J. Paul Getty, who was worth millions, once said, "I'd trade my fortune for just one happy marriage." How sad. I want to say that you can have a wonderful marriage.
7. Sociologists John F. Cuber and Peggy Haroff have suggested five different categories of marriages. [Screen] First there is what they call the DEVITALIZED MARRIAGE. This is a marriage that is a placid, half-alive relationship. This is a marriage devoid ...
There are 22226 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.