This content is part of a series.
A Woman That Teaches Us God Can Answer Prayer (3 of 6)
Series: Lessons From Women In The Bible
I Samuel 1:9-18
1. The story is told about a small town that had historically been “dry,” but then a local businessman decided to build a tavern. A group of Christians from a local church were concerned and planned an all-night prayer meeting to ask God to intervene. It just so happened that shortly thereafter lightning struck the bar and it burned to the ground. The owner of the bar sued the church, claiming that the prayers of the congregation were responsible, but the church hired a lawyer to argue in court that they were not responsible. The presiding judge, after his initial review of the case, stated, “no matter how this case comes out, one thing is clear. The tavern owner believes in prayer and the Christians do not.”
2. I am afraid that would be the testimony of many Christians. Many would say with Job 21:15, “What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him?” Many have never experienced the blessing of answered prayer.
3. I once came across an article entitled Top Excuses If Found Asleep At Your Desk. It contained the following excuses:
* “Oh, Man! Come in at 6 in the morning and look what happens!
* “They told me at the blood bank this might happen.”
* “Whew! Guess I left the top off the liquid paper.”
* “Why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem.”
* “Boy, that cold medicine I took last night just won’t wear off.”
* The number one response if found asleep at your desk: “...and I especially thank you for my excellent boss, Amen!”
4. I want to say that prayer can be a profitable experience and I am not talking about as an excuse for falling asleep at your desk. Prayer is the way to get things from God. God can answer our prayers.
5. As we continue learning from women in the Bible I want us to look at a woman by the name of Hannah tha ...
There are 16538 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.