This content is part of a series.
WHY SHOULD WE GIVE? (2 of 2)
Malachi 3:8-10, I Cor. 16:1
1. During an examination, a rookie police officer was
asked what strategy he would use to disperse a
threatening crowd. His answer: "I would take up a
2. I know that many would rather hear a sermon on any
subject but money and giving. That is because a lot of
people willing to give God credit, but more are
reluctant to give Him cash.
3. I think of a story that Flip Wilson told. A
preacher was trying to get his people to be more
enthusiastic about their church. The preacher said in
his sermon: "If this church is going to get anywhere,
it has to learn to crawl." The people said, "Let it
crawl, Rev., let it crawl!" Then he said, "And after
it learns to crawl, it has to learn to walk." And the
people said, "Let it walk, Rev., let it walk!" The
preacher got excited and said, "After this church
learns to walk, it has to learn to run!" The people
shouted back, "Let it run, Rev., let it run!" Then he
said, "And if this church is going to run, it's going
to take money!" And the people said, "Let it crawl,
Rev., let it crawl."
4. Sadly, that is the attitude of many when it comes
to their money and giving to the Lord.
5. In this study we want to consider "Why We Should
Give." Why is it that you should give a minimum of 10%
of your hard earned money? Let's look into God's Word
and consider 4 reasons why we should give what God has
asked us to give.
1. GIVING IS A REQUIRED MATTER!
1. We read in Malachi 3:10, "Bring ye all the tithes
into the storehouse." Also we read in I Corinthians
16:1, "Now concerning the collection for the saints,
as I have given order to the Churches of Galatia, even
so do ye."
2. The first reason we ought to give is that it is
right to give and wrong not to give. Giving is
something that has been commanded by God and ordered
for the Churches.
3. When one gives as God has directed they are simply
being an obedient Christian. When one fails to give as
God directed they are being a disobedient Christian.
4. God told Israel in Deuteronomy 12:6, "And thither
ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your
sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of
your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings,
and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks."
5. There was an amount, there was a time, and there
was a place in which the children of Israel were
commanded to bring their tithe and offerings. The same
is true of us. There is an amount, a time, and a place
that we are bring our tithe and offering. Again
tithing is an act of obedience.
6. Malachi makes it very clear that God is serious
about obeying this matter. In verse 8 God asked the
question, "Will a man rob God?" God views our like of
tithing as spiritual robbery.
7. I remind you of a couple of statistics I gave you
in our last study. U.S. News and World Repor ...
There are 7750 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!