Why Should We Give? (2 of 2) by Ken Trivette
This content is part of a series.Why Should We Give? (2 of 2)
Malachi 3:8-10, I Cor. 16:1
1. During an examination, a rookie police officer was asked what strategy he would use to disperse a threatening crowd. His answer: ''I would take up a collection.''
2. I know that many would rather hear a sermon on any subject but money and giving. That is because a lot of people willing to give God credit, but more are reluctant to give Him cash.
3. I think of a story that Flip Wilson told. A preacher was trying to get his people to be more enthusiastic about their church. The preacher said in his sermon: ''If this church is going to get anywhere, it has to learn to crawl.'' The people said, ''Let it crawl, Rev., let it crawl!'' Then he said, ''And after it learns to crawl, it has to learn to walk.'' And the people said, ''Let it walk, Rev., let it walk!'' The preacher got excited and said, ''After this church learns to walk, it has to learn to run!'' The people shouted back, ''Let it run, Rev., let it run!'' Then he said, ''And if this church is going to run, it's going to take money!'' And the people said, ''Let it crawl, Rev., let it crawl.''
4. Sadly, that is the attitude of many when it comes to their money and giving to the Lord.
5. In this study we want to consider ''Why We Should Give.'' Why is it that you should give a minimum of 10% of your hard earned money? Let's look into God's Word and consider 4 reasons why we should give what God has asked us to give.
1. GIVING IS A REQUIRED MATTER!
1. We read in Malachi 3:10, ''Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse.'' Also we read in I Corinthians 16:1, ''Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the Churches of Galatia, even so do ye.''
2. The first reason we ought to give is that it is right to give and wrong not to give. Giving is something that has been commanded by God and ordered for the Churches.
3. When one gives as God has directed they are simply being an obedient Christian. When one fails to give as God directed they are being a disobedient Christian.
4. God told Israel in Deuteronomy 12:6, ''And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks.''
5. There was an amount, there was a time, and there was a place in which the children of Israel were commanded to bring their tithe and offerings. The same is true of us. There is an amount, a time, and a place that we are bring our tithe and offering. Again tithing is an act of obedience.
6. Malachi makes it very clear that God is serious about obeying this matter. In verse 8 God asked the question, ''Will a man rob God?'' God views our like of tithing as spiritual robbery.
7. I remind you of a couple of statistics I gave you in our last study. U.S. News and World Report stated that the age group of 65-74 gave the highest percentage o ...
There are 7547 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!