How to Have a White Christmas
Matthew 1:21, Isaiah 1:18
1. There are a lot of songs that have become a part of our culture and Christmas celebration. I think of the song, The Twelve Days of Christmas. Many do not realize that the song originally was intended to teach certain Biblical truths to young people.
2. There was a period of time in England when Christians were not able to practice their faith openly so they had to find other ways to pass on their beliefs. The song The Twelve Days of Christmas is one example of how they did it. The song goes:
* "On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me..." The "true love" represents God and "me" represents those who are Christians and have received God's gifts.
* "Partridge in a pear tree" represented Jesus Christ who died on a tree as a gift from God.
* "Two turtle doves" were the Old and New Testaments, another gift from God.
* "Three French hens" represented faith, hope, and love.
* "Four calling birds" spoke of the 4 Gospels that tell the story of salvation.
* "Five golden rings" spoke of the first 5 books of the Bible.
* "Six geese a laying" spoke of the days of creation.
* "Seven swans a swimming" spoke of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.
* "Eight maids a milking" spoke of the 8 beatitudes.
* "Nine ladies dancing" spoke of the 9 fruits of the Spirit.
* "Ten lords a leaping" spoke of the 10 Commandments.
* "Eleven pipers piping" spoke of the eleven faithful disciples.
* "Twelve drummers drumming" spoke of the 12 Apostles. 1
3. Whereas there are many songs we sing at Christmas that are based in Biblical truth, there are many that have nothing to do with the real meaning of Christmas.
4. I think of such songs as Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Jingle Bells, and so on. We enjoy singing such songs but they have nothing to do with the real meaning of Christmas.
5. Another popular song is I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas. It is a popular song that is sung at Christmas parties, family gatherings, etc.
6. The song expresses, among many things, a desire to see snow at Christmas time. Now you may be dreaming of a white Christmas, but as for me, I hope it is 90o in the shade. Only people that did not grow up in an area where there is a lot of snow wish for snow.
7. I grew up in the mountains of North Carolina in a place where we got snow when nobody else did. When you have lived in a place where you have snow on the ground 4 months of the year, you have no desire to see snow. I am not dreaming of a white Christmas. I am dreaming of Global Warming.
8. If you are dreaming of a white Christmas, then I want to tell you how you can really have a white Christmas. In Matthew 1:21 and Isaiah 1:18, we find how one can really have a white Christmas.
9. We read in Matthew 1:21, "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins."
9. We read in Isaia ...
There are 17132 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.