This content is part of a series.
Series: How To Handle To What's Handling You
#2 SO YOU ARE DOWN IN THE DUMPS
I Kings 19:1-8
1. The National Institute of Mental Heath reported that
depression in 1990, cost the nation an estimated $30 - $44
billion. In addition to direct costs it is estimated that
up to 2 million workdays are lost each year due to
2. Depression is second only to heart disease in causing
lost workdays in America.2
3. Studies from Harvard showed that in 1990, depression was
the fourth leading cause of disease-burden and by 2020 will
be the single leading cause.3
4. Depression is the leading cause of alcoholism, drug
abuse, and other addictions. Untreated depression is the
number one cause of suicide.4
5. These figures and stats indicate that one of the thing
that is handling us is DEPRESSION.
6. Winston Churchill was one of the greatest leaders of
this century, yet he said, "Depression followed me around
like a black dog all of my life."
7. It may that many in this place are being followed around
by the black dog of depression. Instead of handling
depression, depression is handling you.
8. Many years ago a young Midwestern lawyer suffered such
deep depression that his friends thought it wise to keep
all knives and razors from him. During this time he wrote,
"I am now the most miserable man living. Whether I shall
ever be better, I cannot tell. I awfully forebode I shall
not." Those words were written by Abraham Lincoln, who went
on to become the 16th president of the United States.5
9. Maybe you have been in the same place. It may be that
you are in such a place right now. Let's examine the matter
of depression and learn how to handle depression rather
than being handled by depression.
1. THE PROBLEM OF DEPRESSION THAT IS COMMON!
1. Depression is an equal-opportunity problem. It affects
all ages, all races, all economic groups and both genders.
Depression is a very comm ...
There are 17476 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.