Three Brand New Names
Ken D. Trivette
1. At the first battle of Bull Run in 1861, a fierce Union charge caused confusion in the Confederate ranks. Confederate General Barnard Bee rode up to General Thomas Jackson and reported, "General, they are beating us back." Jackson shouted, "Give them the bayonet."
General Bee galloped back to his men and yelled, "There is Jackson standing like a stone wall! Rally behind the Virginians!" The Confederates rallied and that day a new name was born for General Thomas Jackson. He would henceforth be known as General "Stonewall" Jackson.
2. In the Bible it is not unusual to find pivotal moments marked by the giving of a brand new name.
3. There are several name changes in the Bible.
. Jacob was renamed Israel,
. Saul was renamed Paul,
. Simon was renamed Peter, etc.
4. These name changes were significant and were for the purpose of communicating a great truth about the individual or God Himself as He related to that individual.
5. In Genesis 17, we have 3 brand new names being given, and in each there is a message being proclaimed and a great truth being declared
6. The message that is being declared by these 3 brand new names is the amazing, astounding, and the Almighty power of God. You could write in the margin of your Bible, "Genesis 17 - God Is a God of Power!"
7. The great Chinese evangelist, Leland Wong, had three sentences, each with a verse of scripture on his letterhead:
. "The Sun stood still" (Josh. 10:13).
. "The iron did swim" (2 Kings 6:6).
. "This God is our God" (Psa.48:14).1
8. Do you believe that God is a God of power? Let's notice these 3 brand new names and see how they remind us of the power of God.
1. THE REVELATION OF GOD'S POWER!
1. The first new name that we see in the chapter is a new name for God. Notice Genesis 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before m ...
There are 13695 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.