This content is part of a series.
Let's Get Acquainted With Barzillai (10 of 10)
Lets Get Acquainted Series
II Samuel 19:31-39
1. There was an elderly man sitting on a park bench in tears. He was just a sobbing. A policeman walked up and asked him what was wrong. "I'm 80 years old, " sobbed the man, "I have a 25 year old wife at home. She is beautiful, charming, and madly in love with me." The policeman asked, "So what's the problem?" The old man relied, "I can't remember where I live."
2. Before us in our text is another 80-year-old man. He is an elderly man, that as we shall see, that went home to get ready to go home. His name is Barzillai.
3. Life is drawing to a close for Barzillai and as it does, an important matter dwells on his mind. It is a matter for which he wants to prepare. As we get acquainted with Barzillai, we are all reminded of an important matter that hould be on each of our minds. Let's get better acquainted with Barzillai and glean from this man that went home to get ready to go home.
1. THE CELEBRATION OF THE LONGEVITY OF HIS LIFE!
1. The scripture says in verse 32, "Now Barzillai was a very aged man, even fourscore years old..." Barzillai was eighty years old.
2. The Jewish people regarded old age as being in stages and was defined by certain terms that are often found in the Bible:
? 60th to 70th year was spoken of as "the commencement of old age."
? 70th to 80th year was called "hoary headed age."
? 80th year to the end of life was called "advanced age" and those reaching it were described as "well-stricken" in years.
3. Barzillai had reached the third stage of old age. In fact, as we look at the story before us, we see that it was his birthday. He told David in verse 35, "I am this day fourscore years old..." He was saying to David, "Today is my eightieth birthday."
4. Barzillai is celebrating reaching the third stage of old age. No doubt he was aware of how fortunate and blessed he had been. I'm sure he had lost many friends along the way that had not been as fortunate as him. In the Jewish chronology of life, he had reached a milestone.
5. The long life of Barzillai had been a faithful and fruitful life. His life had not been lived in vain but had been profitable and productive. Think with me for a moment about the life he had lived.
A. HE HAD LIVED A HELPFUL LIFE.
1. The latter part of verse 32 says that, "he had provided the king of sustenance while he lay at Mahanaim; for he was a very great man."
2. The statement takes us back to the days when David had fled from the rebellion of Absalom. In that hour Barzillai and others had reached out to David in his hour of need.
3. Notice 2 Samuel 17:27-29
"And it came to pass, when David was come to Mahanaim, that Shobi the son of Nahash of Rabbah of the children of Ammon, and Machir the son of Ammiel of Lo-debar, and Barzillai the Gileadite of Rogelim,  Brought beds, and basons, and earthen vessels, and wheat, and barley, and flour, and ...
There are 16760 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
Price:$4.99 or 1 credit
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.