This content is part of a series.
I Will Sing Of My Redeemer (13 of 14)
Series: The Book of Ruth
Ken D. Trivette
1. One of the great hymn writers of all time was P.P. Bliss. Bliss and his wife were killed in a train wreck around Christmas in 1876. He was on his way to join D.L. Moody in an evangelistic campaign. Among the personal effects of Bliss were a set of words entitled, "My Redeemer." They were later set to music and have become one of the Church's most cherished hymns. When I read this portion of the Book of Ruth I find myself singing:
I will sing of my Redeemer,
And His wondrous love to me;
On the cruel cross He suffered,
From the curse to set me free.
Sing, oh, sing of my Redeemer;
With His blood He purchased me,
On the cross He sealed my pardon,
Paid the debt and made me free.
2. Before us is a wonderful illustration of our Redeemer, the Lord Jesus, and how He paid the debt and made us free. It is the story of how Boaz, as a kinsman-redeemer, redeemed Ruth.
3. In our last study we learned about the role of a kinsman-redeemer. Now let's notice the only example of a kinsman-redeemer in the Bible. From this example we learn 3 things about our redemption.
1. THE REQUEST FOR REDEMPTION!
1. Ruth had a need for a kinsman-redeemer. Likewise, we have a need for a Redeemer. The law had provided for her a kinsman-redeemer and the Lord has provided for us a Redeemer. You might say that for both Ruth and ourselves, redemption is for the taking.
A. We See Ruth Asking For Redemption.
1. Let's go back and consider a few verses that we considered in our last study. Notice Ruth 3:6-9, "And she went down unto the floor, and did according to all that her mother in law bade her. And when Boaz had eaten and drunk, and his heart was merry, he went to lie down at the end of the heap of corn: and she came softly, and uncovered his feet, and laid her down. And it came to pass at midnight, that the man was afraid, and turned himself: and, behold, ...
There are 16536 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.