This content is part of a series.
The Rest Of Your Life (10 of 14)
Series: The Book of Ruth
Ken D. Trivette
1. When I talk about the "Rest of Your Life" I am not speaking in terms of quantity. I am speaking in terms of quality. I am not talking about how many days are left in your life, but how the days are lived in your life.
2. The "rest" that I speak of is a rest that God wants His people to experience and enjoy. We read in Hebrews 4:9, "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God." The writer of Hebrews tells us that one of the goals of life should be the experiencing and enjoyment of this rest: Hebrews 4:11, "Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief."
3. The word "rest" as found in Ruth 3:1, means "quiet" and speaks of someone that is settled. It was used to speak of someone who had a home and was settled in life. It describes a lack of anxiety, restlessness, and emptiness in a person's heart and life. We would describe this rest as a contentment of life, a deep satisfaction in life, peace of heart and soul.
4. It was the desire of Naomi that Ruth find this rest. She said in 3:1, "Shall I not seek rest for thee, that it may be well with thee." Naomi wanted Ruth to be happy and live the rest of her life enjoying the rest of life. She wanted Ruth to be settled in life and without certain fears and worries.
5. Essayist Charles Lamb said, "I walk up and down thinking I am happy, and knowing I am not." To many, satisfaction is about as rare as the bald eagle. It is estimated that about every 30 minutes someone in the U.S. commits suicide. The New York Times estimated that about 5 million people living in America had tried to kill themselves. It would seem that for many Americans, life is without contentment and satisfaction.
6. One of the great quests of life is peace, contentment and satisfaction. Dante, the Italian poet, when asked by some monks where he was going and what he w ...
There are 12281 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.