This content is part of a series.
God in Three Persons (5 of 8)
Series: The Wondrous Story
Ken D. Trivette
1. I have always thought, that if any of our earthly hymns, would one day be employed in heaven, the hymn, ''Holy, Holy, Holy,'' would be certainly be one. It is a hymn with a beautiful melody. But what draws my heart to the hymn is the message. In our day when songs seek to stimulate rather communicate, it is a hymn that the body of Christ should become reacquainted. I think of the first stanza:
Holy, holy, holy,
Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning
Our song shall rise to Thee;
Holy, holy, holy!
Merciful and mighty!
God in three persons, blessed Trinity!
2. Now there is some doctrine and depth in that stanza. It communicates an important truth of the Bible ¾ the Trinity. As the hymn writer put it: ''God in three persons, blessed Trinity.'' As we continue looking at the wondrous story as told by John 3:16, we see that our salvation was a family affair.
3. It involved God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. It was not the Father without the Son or Spirit, or the Son without the Father or Spirit, or the Spirit without the Father or Son. It was a family affair.
4. Today I want us to consider the words: ''His only begotten Son.'' In that statement we God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
1. THE DEPICTION OF GOD THE FATHER THAT IS INSPIRING!
1. We note the personal pronoun ''His.'' Our attention is drawn to God the Father, the God of John 3:16. If John 3:16 was all there was of the Bible, it would still be a wonderful and inspiring revelation of the Father.
2. I once read of a little girl who had been taught to think of God only with dread. In her stern home the name of God had only been used to terrify and frighten her. One day, in her father's printing office, she picked up a scrap of paper and found on it the first few words of John 3:16: ''God so loved the world that He gave.'' The remaining words were torn off, but t ...
There are 10885 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.