Mother's Day in Heaven
Ken D. Trivette
1. Anna M. Jarvis first suggested the national observance of an annual day honoring all mothers because she had loved her own mother so dearly. At a memorial service for her mother on May 10, 1908, Miss Jarvis gave a carnation (her mother's favorite flower) to each person who attended. Within the next few years, the idea of a day to honor mothers gained popularity, and Mother's Day was observed in a number of large cities in the U.S. On May 9, 1914, by an act of Congress, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day. He established the day as a time for ''public expression of our love and reverence for the mothers of our country.'' By then it had become customary to wear white carnations to honor departed mothers and red to honor the living, a custom that continues to this day. 1
2. It is for certain that Mothers need to be honored and deserve to be honored. I think about a little boy that forgot his lines in a Sunday school presentation. His mother was in the front row to prompt him. She gestured and formed the words silently with her lips, but it did not help. Her son's memory was blank. Finally, she leaned forward and whispered the cue, ''I am the light of the world.'' The child beamed and with great feeling and a loud clear voice said, ''My mother is the light of the world.'' 2
3. I'm sure that many feel the same way about their mother. There are not enough words in our vocabulary to say all that should be said about mothers.
4. Abraham Lincoln said: ''I remember my mother's prayers, and they have followed me; they have clung to me all my life. All that I am and hope to be I owe to my angel mother.''
5. Today, on Mothers Day, we say thank you to all our mothers for their undying love, their untiring work, their unselfish giving, and their undivided devotion.
6. A mother who had scrimped and saved to put her son through college sat in her sons graduation. He w ...
There are 22746 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.