What A Mighty God We Serve
Ken D. Trivette
1. A little boy came home from Sunday School and his mother asked him what he had learned. He answered, "We learned that Moses went behind enemy lines and reed the Israelites. Then he took army engineers and built a pontoon bridge across the Red Sea. Then when the Egyptian tank division started across the bridge he called in dive bombers and blew them to bits." His mother looked at him and said, "IS THAT WHAT YOUR SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER IS TEACHING YOU?" The little boy answered, "Well, no mom, but if I told you what she taught us there's no way you would believe it!"
2. One survey found that 95% of Americans believe in God or a universal force. But it also found that only 67% define God as "the all-powerful, all knowing Creator of the universe Who rules the world today."1
3. I want to report to you that I am in that 67%! I believe and I know that God is an all powerful God. In the words of our text, I believe in a God that is "able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think."
4. A newly converted teen-ager was deep into reading the Bible while waiting for a bus. Every now and then he would exclaim, "Alleluia, Praise the Lord, Amen!" A skeptic heard him and came and asked him what he was reading. He answered, "I'm reading the Bible, how God parted the Red Sea and let the Israelites cross. That was some miracle."
The scoffer said, "Do not believe everything the Bible tells you. The truth of the matter is that that body of water was only really 6 inches deep, so it was not a miracle." The teen nodded in disappointment but kept on reading as the skeptic walked away feeling proud that he set the Bible reader straight. Suddenly the skeptic heard the teen let out a big "Alleluia, Praise the Lord!" Hearing this he went back and asked, "What is it now?" The teen replied excitedly, "Here is a real miracle. God drowned Pharaoh's army in 6 inches of water."
5. When I think about God's ...
There are 21845 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.