The Son That Became a Sovereign
Ken D. Trivette
1. The book of Genesis consists of 50 chapters and nearly one-fourth tell the story of Joseph. There are 14 chapters that tell the story of his life.
2. George Henderson writes of Joseph:
"His faith in God is similar to that of Abraham, but is more constant; his acquiescence in the will of God is a pronounced as that of Isaac, but is much more intelligent; he has the ability of Jacob without his cunning. Both the active and passive virtues are seen in him in balanced perfection."1
3. Another writer wrote:
"Men like Joseph are rare visitors among mortals. As a comet, set like a gem in nocturnal blue, silvers her way in the sky, drawing universal attention and admiration, and then vanishes as suddenly as it came, not to reappear again for hundreds of years, so men of Joseph's caliber are few and far apart in the history of the race."2
4. The life of Joseph is a fascinating study. The benefits of looking at his life are many. For example:
* In Joseph we learn that the circumstances of life have purpose. Joseph was able to look back on all that had happened in his life and say, "God meant it for good."
* In Joseph we learn that the conduct of life has priority. He lived clean and consecrated life in the face of both temptation and trial.
5. But one of the great lessons and features of his life is that he is a blessed and illuminating example of the Lord Jesus Christ.
6. F.B. Meyer in the introduction of his book on Joseph writes:
"I remember see the huge Matterhorn reflected, in its minutest details, in a small mountain lakelet, many miles distant; and similarly, the life of Jesus is remarkably mirrored in this touching story."3
7. There is perhaps no other character in the Bible that serves a better picture or type of the Lord Jesus than Joseph.
8. I want us to take a thumbnail sketch of Joseph and see in him an Old Testament example of the Lord Jesus Christ.
1. WE ...
There are 18364 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.