Bits and Bridles
Ken D. Trivette
1. Someone has written:
"Some church members are as stubborn as a Missouri mule about doing church work, but sly as a fox in their own business deals; as busy as a bee in spreading the latest gossip, but as quiet as a mouse in spreading the Gospel of Christ. Many are as blind as a bat to see the needs of others but have eyes of a hawk to see the faults of a few. Some are as eager as a beaver about a barbecue, but lazy as a dog about the prayer meetings. Some will roar like a lion when things do not go just to suit them, but they are as gentle as a lamb when they need the preacher of the church. Some are as noisy as a blue jay when calling on the church for advice, but as timid as a kitten about talking to the lost and slow as a snail about visiting absentees and shut-ins. Many are night owls on Saturday night, but bed bugs on Sunday morning; slippery as eels on Sunday evenings and as scarce as hen's teeth on Wednesday nights."i
2. I think we would all agree that believers act like everything from foxes to bed bugs. The Bible often compares us to animals. The Psalmist in our text spoke of believers acting like horses and mules. Lets consider the text.
1. THE REALITY OF A SUPERIOR WILL!
1. When you think of a bit and bridle, you think of one will being brought into subjection to the will of another. There is the will of the horse or mule, but there is the higher and superior will of the owner and master. By the means of the bit and bridle, the will of the lower one is brought into subjection to the will of the Higher One.
2. In Luke 22:42, Jesus prayed, Luke "NOT MY WILL, BUT THINE, BE DONE." We also hear our Lord's words in Hebrews 10:7, "LO, I COME (IN THE VOLUME OF THE BOOK IT IS WRITTEN OF ME) TO DO THY WILL, O GOD." Jesus recognized that there was a superior will to be obeyed.
3. In each of our lives, there is a higher and superior will(that being the will of God. Each of us must recognize and r ...
There are 16946 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.