This content is part of a series.
How Marriages Get in Trouble (5 of 5)
June 1, 1980
Diagnosticians are important people. Especially are diagnosticians important when they can give us early warnings. For instance:
1. Which physician serves you better?
- The doctor who tells you that you have a degenerative heart condition. You are already past repair. Only symptoms can be treated. Your days are short.
- Or, the doctor who can tell you that he sees some early signs that you could be edging toward a heart condition. Some specific care is prescribed. There is every chance that this problem can be warded off, and you will live a full, long and healthy life . . . if you do what the doctor says.
2. Which business consultant serves you better?
- The consultant who tells you the obvious. Your business is in big trouble. It is past going. You are in a last gasp situation. There is no way out.
- Or, that consultant who catches you when you appear to be in great shape. You are turning a profit. Everything appears to be 6n top. But, the consultant, an expert in studying the inner health of a business, detects some signs that are early warning signals. They are the first indicators of danger ahead. Surely this consultant has earned his fee. He gave early warning.
These days we have too many people who are ready to say the funeral of a marriage. They receive pay for this job. Sometimes they sweep up after the accident. They make one partner or the other feel better for the conversation, but the real consequence of the time with the consultant is that the marriage goes ahead and dies. It does not take a genius to do this kind of work. It takes no more sense to pronounce some marriages dead than it does to pronounce some accident victims dead.
It is a rather obvious situation. On the one hand the people have so many destructive patterns and so much hate and the war has gone on for so long until I am called upon only for funeral purposes. So, the do ...
There are 36041 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.