Breaking through the Storm: Defeating the Spirit of Helplessness
Matthew 8:23-34; 14:21-34
January 26, 1992
Intro: There is an evil spirit loose upon America, that is robbing, discouraging, demoralizing many. He has a name; his name is helplessness!
A. The spirit of helplessness is actively and successfully at work in the hearts and minds of our nation.
1. His plan and purpose is to make you and I feel helpless in the face of life and its problems. To make us feel small, powerless and without hope.
2. Once he is allowed to stay in our life. He invites his cousins Fear, Hopelessness, Futility, Insecurity and Depression, and they come and weight down the life and break the heart.
B. Helplessness is vital to Satan's plan of destruction! For Satan must take away our hope, courage, and joy to defeat us.
1. If you have HOPE; then you will not give up. You press on.
2. If you have COURAGE; you are not intimidated by the largeness of the problem but you fight with your strength
3. If you have JOY; then Depression and Sorrow cannot rob you of your strength. For the Joy of the Lord is your strength.
C. For Satan to defeat us he knows he must plant in our mind doubt!
1. Doubt about God
2. Doubt about self
3. Doubt opens the door to helplessness!
D. It is important to remember that spiritual battles are most often fought out in the arena of the natural.
1. That means that there is most often a spiritual source behind the events of life.
2. Those events are orchestrated so that they seem without a source but behind the events are often forces at work to win the soul of mankind.
(Ephesians 6:12-13 NIV) (12) For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (13) Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
E. As I was praying for the church, trying to get a handle on what I was feeling in my spirit
1. Knew God's people were wrestling something but could not call it by name, get a handle.
2. Seeing the fear, the insecurity, the hopelessness that we all battle.
3. Asked God for the source: couldn't quite put my finger on it.
4. Then an article came across my desk. It struck me and I said "That is it."
F. Article title is "Learned helplessness in local TV news."
1. A secular article written by a professor of Communication.
2. Grace Levine studied the Newscast of three network-owned Stations and found that helplessness was the focus of 71.4% of the time devoted to the news! 71.4 almost 3/4!!
3. Just as amazing is the fact that the TV executives did not deny it. But said it was according to a purpose.
4. Quote: CBS news executive "we are looking for an emotional response. I tell th ...
There are 42687 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 3000 character sample of the full content.
Price:$4.99 or 1 credit
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.