The Lord Is My Shepherd
Psalm 23:1-6 A Psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever. (NKJV)
Introduction: One of the strongest word pictures in the Bible concerning God's relationship with us is of a shepherd and his sheep. Jesus, in John 10 used the example of the shepherd and sheep to describe His relationship with us. Today we will look at the role of God as our shepherd and what it means to us. (This lesson is especially meaningful to graduating seniors or really anyone who is looking for direction in their lives.)
1. THE ROLE OF THE SHEPHERD
Three major functions of the shepherd
- direct - ''...he leadeth me...''
*to take the sheep on the correct path for life and health.
- protect - ''...though I walk through the valley of...death...''
*to keep anything or anyone who would harm the sheep away.
- provide - ''...green pastures, quiet waters...''
*to give the sheep every resource they need for life.
Psalm 23 =These benefits exist when God is your shepherd.
Jesus reiterates these functions in the New Testament
- Matt. 16 - take up His cross and follow me
- ''Jerusalem, how many times I wanted to gather you under...''
- Matt. 6:33 ''all these things will be added to you''
2. THE CHARACTER OF A GOOD SHEPHERD (Three reasons why we should let god shepherd us.)
John 10:11;14 ''I am the good shepherd...''
1. THE GOOD SHEPHERD HOLDS HIMSELF RESPON ...
There are 5808 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.