The Gifts of Tongues and The Interpretation of Tongues (3 of 3) by Jimmy Evans
This content is part of a series.The Gifts Of Tongues And The Interpretation Of Tongues (3 of 3)
1 Corinthians 12
Introduction: Of all of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, tongues is the most controversial and misunderstood. However, tongues are also a very important public and private manifestation of the presence of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, we will examine the issue of tongues in three parts.
UNDERSTANDING THE BASICS OF TONGUES
- Greek word - 'glossal' - means language
- I Corinthians 14:21 - heteroglossa
- contrast from earthly tongues
- Paul - I Cor. 14:2 -
- divine language to God.
Tongues has nothing to do with human languages or known linguistic patterns.
Speaking in tongues is a supernatural manifestation of the Holy Spirit of God
in a believers life.
- John 7:37-39
The Three Types of Speaking in Tongues -
1. Initial evidence of receiving the baptism in the Holy Spirit.
(Acts 2:4-6; 10:45-47; 19:6)
2. The believers personal prayer and praise language.
(I Cor. 14:1-4, 15; Jude 20; Romans 8:26-27; Ephesians 6:18)
3. Tongues given in the assembly to communicate to the Body and be a si ...
There are 2296 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1148 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!