This content is part of a series.
The Best Christmas Gift Ever (2 of 4)
Message Truth: Grace gifts are un-repayable. They indicate that the giver knows you well and has put much thought into his gift; it is impossible to measure the cost of a gift. (Calvin Miller)
(see Luke 2:6-11 NIV)
Introduction: Well the clock is ticking and there are only a limited number of days to take care of Christmas shopping. Since some of us (men) usually need assistance in this department, I want to offer the following suggestion.
A. Gift Giving Guide For Men
1. When buying a gift for your wife, always keep the receipt. Contrary to popular myth among males, women are not picky; men just don't have very good taste.
2. Wrapping a small gift in a series of progressively larger boxes ending with the one your refrigerator came in will not score big points for effort.
3. Don't buy anything that plugs in. Anything that requires electricity is seen as utilitarian.
4. Don't buy clothing that involves sizes. The chances are one in seven thousand that you will get her size right, and your wife will be offended the other 6999 times.
5. Avoid all things useful. The new silver polish advertised to save hundreds of hours is not going to win you her favor.
6. Don't buy anything that involves weight loss or self-improvement if you really want to have a merry Christmas.
7. Don't buy jewelry. The jewelry your wife wants, you can't afford. And the jewelry you can afford, she doesn't want.
8. Whatever you do, do not fall into the trap of buying her frilly underwear. Your idea of what she should wear and what she actually enjoys wearing is light years apart.
9. If it is used for cleaning, painting, yard work, gardening or other household chores, it probably doesn't fit the best definition of the word "gift".
B. An American Express survey about Christmas gifts found that the fruitcake was chosen most often (31%) from a list of "worst" holiday gifts. It even fini ...
There are 8244 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.