This content is part of a series.
Money Matters! (16 of 26)
Series: Truths That Transform
2 Corinthians 8:10-24
Message Truth: Just as God desires us to worship, witness, pray, and fellowship, He also desires that we give. We are saved by grace, we live by grace, and we are to give in grace.
Introduction: Listen to what some famous people have had to say about the subject of money:
1. When I was young I use to think that money was the most important thing in the world. Now that I am old, I know it. - Oscar Wilde
2. When a fellow says it ain't the money, it's the principle of the thing, you can believe that it's the money.
3. I don't like money actually, but it quiets my nerves. - Joe Lewis
4. When Sophie Tucker turned 69 she gave this advice: From birth to age 18 a girl needs good parents, between 18 and 35 she needs good looks, from 35 -55 she needs a good personality, and from 55 on she needs cash baby!
5. Happiness is not based on money and the best proof of that is our family. Christine Onasis.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION: GIVING IN AMERICA
In a recent news story account Lyle Schaller shared the following information about giving in America.
Money contributed to religious organizations totaled $56.7 billion in 1992, according to the American Association of Fund-Raising Counsel. That is about 14 times the $4 billion spent on the major league baseball, football, and basketball.
Protestants in 44 major denominations gave $16.6 billion in 1992. That represents a 3.12% decline from the year before. The average weekly donation for members of those churches comes to $8.
Per-capita giving of members:
Southern Baptist $ 6.50
United Methodist 7.00
Presbyterian USA 14.00
Free Will Baptist 5.50
Presbyterian PCA 26.00
About 10% actually tithe their incomes, the average giver contributes with 2% of their income.
A PRINCIPLE THAT LEADS TO FINANCIAL FREEDOM ...
There are 8087 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.