This content is part of a series.
LOVE-CHARGED EVANGELISM (6 of 8)
HIGH VOLTAGE LOVE
(An exposition and application of 1 Corinthians 13)
Dr. Rick E. Ferguson
2 Corinthians 5:14-21
Introduction: I want to set the stage for today's
message using a story out of the Old Testament.
- The story is recorded in the Book of 2 Kings,
chapters 6 and 7.
- The event happens in Israel, in the city of Samaria.
- Elisha is God's prophet in Israel and Jehoram is
- The capital city of Samaria has come under attack
from the Syrians.
- The Syrian armies have surrounded the city and
prevented anyone from entering or leaving. Their plan
was to starve the people to death.
- The plan is working. The people of Samaria are
literally starving to death, so much so, that people
were willing to pay a lifetime of earnings to buy a
donkey's head for food.
- Women are literally boiling their babies and eating
- The situation is about as desperate as it can get.
The city is on the brink of collapse when God
intervenes and performs a miracle.
- God caused the Syrian armies to hear the thunderous
rumble of chariots and horses. The noise sounded like
a great army.
- The Syrians became frightened at the noise, and
began to speculate that the fearsome armies of Egypt
and the Hittites have come to rescue Samaria.
- Panic and mass hysteria set in and Syrian soldiers
begin to run for their lives, trying to get back
across their own borders before the Egyptians and the
Hittites can capture them and slaughter them.
- They flee in such a panic that they leave everything
behind, including their tents, their horses and
donkeys, their clothes, their weapons, their food--
- Well, there were no Egyptian or Hittite armies
marching toward them. God had created the noise to
frighten the Syrians and save the capital city from
- Four men who were lepers living in Samaria had
decided the previous night to take the ...
There are 38813 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.