This content is part of a series.
Deliverance into a New Identity (1 of 3)
Series: 10 Commandments
Exodus 14; 20:1-2
Introduction to the Sermon Series on The 10 Commandments
We are beginning a sermon series on the 10 Commandments…
''Wow that sounds exciting, I can't wait to get started.''
We often think of the 10 Commandments as the top 10 morals that we are to obey and not break.
Even when we read a Bible story we tend to think, ''What is the ''moral'' to the story?'' And we go on to focus on the moral and allow the story to fade out.
We are going to take a different approach to the 10 Commandments, we want to look at ''The Story of the Morals''
What is the ''moral of the story''? It is the ''STORY of the moral''!
There is a fantastic story behind the 10 Commandments. It is a story of deliverance and redemption, a story of slaves being set free, a story that continues into the New Testament and today.
The 10 Commandments were never meant to be extricated from the Bible and isolated as 10 Rules for us to live by. They were meant to be understood in their fullest context, a context of the STORY of grace and mercy.
Do we live by Law or by Grace?
We live by grace and the law is part of God's grace to us, to show us how to live with one another and to worship Him. The law unfolds our identity in Christ, revealing how we are to live.
THE BIG STORY :God's Relentless Pursuit of His People (PowerPoint)
- God created Adam and Eve
- God gave Adam the Law to not eat of the fruit of the tree of good and evil
- Adam ate the fruit and broke the law
- Adam was condemned to death
- God has mercy and grace and tells Adam that He will send a Redeemer to save him from death
- God sends His Son Jesus to come and live a perfect life, fulfilling the law perfectly for us.
- God sacrifices His own Son Jesus to pay the penalty of death
- God gives us faith to believe in Jesus as our Savior (we are justified by faith)
- We live a new life, with a new ident ...
There are 9899 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.