This content is part of a series.
Live Like No One Else (5 of 9)
Intro: Dave Ramsey says, ''Live like no one else now and later you will live like no one else.''
Live like no one else in terms of how you spend your money.
- Use cash - people will think I'm a drug dealer
- Drive a used car with no car payments - what, but my neighbor just got a Lexus, I must keep up.
- Get rid of your credit cards - but I get free airline miles
- Don't try to keep up with the Jones' - Acadia or Aruba?
I met the Millionaire Next Door
In the letter to the Ephesians Paul was calling them to live differently than their culture;
1. They worshiped Artemis the goddess of love. I don't want to go into graphic detail of their practices and discretions but it was x-rated to say the least.
2. They worshiped idols. The silversmiths who manufactured these idols were the richest families in town.
3. Wine was the standard drink. Alcoholism and drunkenness were commonplace.
In summary; the Ephesians lived reckless lives
In looking at just these three parts of Ephesian culture and comparing them to our own here in Midlotopia you'd think we live in Ephesus:
1. We live in a sex crazed culture, without a doubt, you'd have to be blind, deaf and dumb not to see it and even then the advertisers would figure out a way to sell their product to you using sex.
2. We worship idols of cars, houses, and clothes. Did you know that Sears makes more money off of their credit card dept than they do selling products?
3. We live in a culture of alcoholism. I've seen it first hand in my own family and in my neighborhood by the way adults brag at the pool about their parties over the weekend.
In summary; we live reckless lives.
Broken families; divorce
Lost jobs due to our recklessness (not due to the economy)
Families with kids that are out of control
Reckless financial decisions
Disintegrating marriages because we don't take care of them like we should
Personal sh ...
There are 10657 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.