This content is part of a series.
Born Losers (3 of 8)
Series: Reel Grace
1. [Video and Comments about the video]
2. I have a question for you, but don't raise you hand and answer it. Just answer it to yourself. ''Do you believe that people are basically good? Not, perfect, but basically good?'' If you answered, ''Yes'' you are certainly in the vast majority of what people think about other people and also like the vast majority of other people you would be vastly wrong if what a man by the name of Paul wrote, two-thousand years ago.
3. Paul believed and I believe that the Bible teaches that people are not generally good; people are generally bad. Basically, we are not good people who just occasionally say, do, and think bad things. We are bad people who try hard to do, say, and think good things. If you don't agree with that, let me throw some things out for you to ponder.
4. We don't have to try to do bad things. We have to try to do good things. For example, take lust. If you are a normal, red-blooded, healthy male, which is more true - do you really have to work hard and try to lust after a beautiful woman or do you have to really try not to?
5. Here is something else to ponder. If people are basically good and not basically bad, why do we have so many laws? Why do we lock our doors at night?
6. Think about the form of government that we have. We have three branches - Legislative, Judicial, and Executive. Our Founding Fathers didn't just willy-nilly come up with the idea of three-pronged government. They specifically put them there for check and balances. Why did they think we needed checks and balances? James Madison, who was the chief architect of the Constitution, put it this way. ''If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administrated by men over men, the great difficul ...
There are 16301 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.