This content is part of a series.
Root Canal (3 of 4)
1. You think you have seen it all. You think you have heard it all until a story comes along that is so bizarre, so surreal, and so breathtaking that you realize you haven't. It was Father's Day, 1999, Ron Shanabarger, jumped into the shower and told his wife, Amy, to wake up their 7-month-old boy, Tyler. When Amy walked into the bedroom she found him face down in his crib stiff and cold she screamed. Ron, told her to dial 911. When the doctors examined the baby they said it was SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). They buried Tyler two days later.
2. Hours after the funeral, Amy sat in her living room sobbing. She was racked with guilt thinking she should have checked on the baby more often during the night. The night before Father's Day she had come home exhausted. Ron had already put the baby to bed and she went to sleep immediately.
3. As she sat on that couch weeping Ron sat down and told her this unbelievable story. As that precious little 7 month old baby boy was playing with his feet in the crib, Ron wrapped his head in plastic wrap, sat down and ate dinner, brushed his teeth, and came back just in time to see his little boy take his last breath. He removed the wrap, turned the baby onto his stomach, switched off the light, and went to bed.
4. Normally, he would always be the first one to go in and wake Tyler up, but that Father's Day morning he asked Amy to do it, because he purposefully wanted her to be the one to discover the body. With a look of horror and shock she asked him, ''Why?'' He said, ''Now we are even.''
5. She said, ''Even for what?'' Ron then told her he had never forgiven her for refusing to cut an ocean cruise short with her parents to come home and comfort him when his own father had died. He told her it was at that point he decided to marry her, have a child with her and then kill the child.
6. What was it that left behind the ...
There are 17113 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.