Lois Wyse, Good Housekeeping, April 1985
Six ways to learn everything you ever need to know about a man before you decide to marry him:
1. Watch him drive in heavy traffic.
2. Play tennis with him.
3. Listen to him talk to his mother when he doesn't know you're listening.
4. See how he treats those who serve him (waiters, maids).
5. Notice what he's willing to spend his money to buy.
6. Look at his friends. And if you still can't make up your mind, then look at his shoes. A man who keeps his shoes in good repair generally tends to the rest of his life too.